Sunday, September 22, 2013

Embracing the changes

I've been doing a lot of thinking back on 2013 lately, and how much my life has changed since January. Or rather, how much I have changed my life.
I've made some BIG, scary, exciting changes this year. I left my job managing a shoe store to find my passion and chase it, without even knowing what that was. I "lost" many of my friendships when I left that job, and have developed and deepened the relationships that survived. I've settled into married life a bit more. I got my dream job!
All of these changes were stressful, even the good ones. I look back at January and realize I basically tore myself down to rebuild.
I didn't just make external changes though. When I left my job I decided to change my way of thinking and my behavior, because I realized I was holding myself back with my thought process and how I reacted to things around me.
I started thinking in a positive manner, and tried to be aware of and limit the amount of complaining I did. I started giving more, and expecting less. I started listening more. And I embraced the changes.
I'm the first person to say that in order to change something, you have to go through a period of being uncomfortable, sometimes even miserable, to end up where you want to be. But somehow I had forgotten that. I saw the opportunity I had to make big changes all at once, and I took it. I made a decision to improve myself and my life, and then I took the steps I needed to take get there.

Change is inevitable, and I think the longer we avoid it, the scarier it looks, and the more miserable we are without it. It takes a lot of courage to take the first step, but once you do, each step comes easier and sooner than the last. I think we can all do something to change and improve our lives; no matter how small or big that change is. From now on, I'm not going to avoid change. I'm going to embrace it.

Here's the YouTube video I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_kZrSAftM

                                                                                                                                                                  

Read this awesome Huffington Post article about habits for happiness. 

And a little quote from the Brave Girls Club:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow my blog with Bloglovin